Saturday 4 February 2017

Day 34 3 February 2017 Had a VERY early night last night, was in bed by 8pm. It was much needed and I have to start altering my sleep schedule as my body is getting tired. And I'm glad I did, because at 11pm Malaika woke up poorly. She has caught Amelie's head cold and sore throat. Not the end of the world you say, and I agree, unless you are type one. Being sick makes your body insulin resistant, meaning that you need to give more insulin to bring down blood sugar than you would when not sick. The body fighting infection raises blood glucose because the hormones produced to combat illness also raise blood glucose. Your body also produces ketones, which normally are nothing to worry about, but when present with high blood glucose it can turn the blood acidic, and can lead to severe complications including death. The best way to get rid of ketones is with insulin. All of the extra insulin requirements mean that a simple cold or infection means that you have to inject a significant amount more insulin than normal, and to combat high blood glucose and ketones last night I had to inject Malaika with a very large dose, a potentially fatal dose. Which meant that I was checking her blood glucose every hour (except 3 and 4am as I slept through my alarm) Lazy day for the girls today, but I will be continuing with my miles to try and gain support to help find a cure. A cold can't kill you, they often say. If you habe type one, they are wrong. #10000kmIn2017 total km 595.72/10000 #MissionFindACure February daily Day 3 - 29865/29000 Day 2 - 31043/29000 Day 1 - 29096/29000 January steps 603876/542000 http://ift.tt/2iyeDJM #MilesForMalaika


via Mission: Find a Cure http://ift.tt/2l79Xvi

No comments:

Post a Comment