Saturday 3 December 2016

Malaika nearly died this afternoon. After lunch I tested her blood sugar and it was 6.2 (normal 4-7) About 10 minutes later I asked her to go to her room to calm down following some angry behaviour. Immediately upon going downstairs (we have an upside down house), she began shouting that she wanted to come up and then she stopped, and I heard her cry "Mama" She doesn't call me Mama anymore, so I ran downstairs and found her stumbling around her bedroom, she collapsed in my arms as I reached her and began losing consciousness. I ran her upstairs and got the glucogen injection ready (an emergency measure for if a type one diabetic is unresponsive), I tested her sugar and she was 1.7 She managed to take some glucose gel and started to feel better. The whole scenario from Malaika going downstairs and me finding her losing consciousness was less than 5 minutes. Nothing different happened today. There was no reason for it to happen except the fact that even when you do everything right, you sometimes fail. Type one diabetes is the most unpredictable illness I have ever come across. We need a cure.

from Mission: Find a Cure http://ift.tt/2gGjJFM
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment