Tuesday 22 November 2016

My Diaversary - 25 years strong

Today marks my 25 year diabetes diagnosis anniversary - my diaversary.
It's a date in all honesty, I never expected to see, I lived a life of hedonism and living for today, because when I was diagnosed age 11, it was stated quite clearly, that my life would not be as long as my peers and I couldn't expect to do the things that I wanted.
So, I didnt care, why should I care when my life would be short and ultimately, the end would be painful.

But then Malaika was diagnosed, my heart broke immediately upon diagnosis as I imagined her beautiful life being cut short, but then I was told that advances mean that she could live a normal, long happy life and I realised that the only obstacle in her way of achieving such happiness was me, I am her role model, everything I do, she replicates. I had to make changes. I had to be who I wanted her to be.

So I began running in January 16, slowly at first, and then I stayed slow, but my distances increased.
I ran the Cardiff Half in October 2016
I struggled every step of that race because of my diabetes, every single step diabetes wanted me to stop and as I was running, I decided that enough was enough,
I decided to stop wishing there was a cure, and to start helping.

2017 is dedicated to Mission: Find a cure, I am going to be doing 12 challenges, one per month to raise awareness about Type one diabetes, to raise funds for JDRF, and to encourage people to get out and get active.
I don't want donations (although I obviously do) I want you to join me, every month you will have the chance to join a virtual event, to get out, get active and when you finish, get an amazing medal. Literally everyone has been catered for. As long as you can get out of the house, you can take part.

I have put my heart and soul into preparing for next year, physically, emotionally and digitally and I am very very proud to announce the launch of my website and the start of the #mightierthantypeone campaign
Please take a look at www.missionfindacure.com
Please share my videos, pages, events, follow me on twitter, on here on instagram, read updates on the blog and then sign up for one....or all of the challenges.

I am so excited to be doing this, and for the positivity I have already received despite the launch date being today,

Please tune into Radio Wales this afternoon at 1620 to hear me talking about the campaign and then tell all your friends.

Thank you for reading! Now go sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment